Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Reading Thing 2009


Great goodness, I need to get on the ball with this blogging thing! I have been beyond busy these past few weeks and I plan to update you on why I have been so busy, but not today. I know, you're in suspense-- you needn't be. It's not that exciting. Just the mundane, everyday busyness that comes along with life. It's downright exhausting at times-- can I get an amen? I wish I was exhausted from doing some intense traveling or decorating or something like that, but no. Not these days.

I have, however, made life very entertaining for myself over the past few days by convincing my students that I won a contest in high school and got to go on a space mission where I walked on the moon and shared a cabin with a space chimp. They totally believe me. Kids-- what would you do without 'em?

You certainly wouldn't hear, "Mrs. H, you look like you're sick today!" Well. Thank you, precious, I just forgot my mascara. Thanks for noticing and pointing it out so nicely. My favorite comment of today would probably have to be, "Whoa! Your hair got WHITER!" Or maybe blonder, thanks to my hair dresser, but hey-- white works too. However, I do enjoy hearing things from the kids that I am not supposed to hear. Take last week, for example.

The kids always ask me, "What'd ya do last night?" I shared with them that I had gotten my eyebrows waxed, which, in hindsight, maybe wasn't the best thing to share with 3rd graders seeing as though I had to go through the process step-by-step with them. However, it got really good when one of my boys blurted out, "My mom wants my dad to get his back waxed but he said NO WAY THAT'S EVER HAPPENING! His back is nasty though!" Oh. My. Heavens. I will never look at that child's father again without gagging snorting to hold back my laughter. Ever.

Kids. They are so free, so forthcoming, so hilarious. Unless, of course, they are making fun of me. Then they're in trouble. Kidding. Maybe.




This brings me to the actual reason for my post today. It's
Spring Reading Thing 2009! I am going to share with you my list of books that I would like to read between now and June. I love, love, love to read. I also love to say things three times-- it's kind of a sickness, really. Back to reading. I have not had time to read much this winter which just slays me. I have always been an avid reader, but life has caught up to me and it has been put on the back burner. Now that the weather has gotten nicer, I would love to get back into some books I have been itching for and Katrina at Callapidder Days has organized a spring read! There is nothing like sitting outside with something to drink and a good book. Yum. Maybe, I would even have a Red Velvet Sandwich Cookie while I was reading. Oh man, now I'm drooling. And going off on another tangent. Join the fun over at Callapidder Days and get reading! I am!

And now, in no particular order... my list.

  1. The Passion of Mary-Margaret by Lisa Sampson
  2. The Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson
  3. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (techincally, I am almost done with this one)
  4. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
  5. Cross Country by James Patterson
  6. The Trouble With Boys : A Surprising Report Card on our Sons, Their Problems at School, and What Parents and Educators Must Do by Peg Tyre
  7. Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult (my favorite author!)
  8. Take One by Karen Kingsbury
  9. Obsessed by Ted Dekker
  10. The Soloist by Steve Lopez
  11. Rescuing Sprite by Mark Levin
  12. The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
  13. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
  14. How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else by Michael Gates Gill
  15. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  16. The Duggars: 20 and Counting!: Raising One of America's Largest Families—How They Do It by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar

I may add or take away from this list. You never know. Pay attention. Don't say I didn't warn you. If you have any suggestions of books I might love, please feel free to share. I have quite a widespread taste, but hey, that's what makes me fun. :) Have a GREAT weekend and happy first day of Spring!!!


9 comments :

PisecoMom said...

Ooh, I'm looking forward to Handle With Care too!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Handle With Care is popping up on lots of lists and I'm not surprised. Even though I don't have it on mine, I usually enjoy Jodi P's books and I'm sure I'll get to this one eventually! I listened to the Obsessed audiobook a while back and liked it, though it felt different than Dekker's other books.

Enjoy your reading, Rachel, and thanks for being part of Spring Reading Thing '09!

Brittanie said...

I am interested in the Duggar book too. We watch their show sometimes on TV. We watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight too. I read their book and it was good.

Lynn said...

The only book on your list I've read is the Yada Yada Prayer Group book. A few I've read recently that I liked (and you might, too ;) ): Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat, Right Ho, Jeeves! by P. G. Wodehouse, and Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. Happy reading!

Amber, That's Me! said...

Hi, I'm a former teacher too! Many memories of the things they say. Oh, I just realized we have the same template too! Funny.

I have Yada Yada #3 on my list- I am loving these books!

I read Secret Life of Bees and loved it- had to buy the movie too.

I need to add The Duggars to my list- a friend really enjoyed it.

Love Jodi Picoult books, but need to add Handle with Care, havent' read it yet. Seen it on several lists.

I also liked 2 N. Sparks books I've read.

Your list is the most similar to my tastes that I have come across.

Have fun on your list!

Lindsay said...

LOL kids say the funnest things! You have some great books on your list :-) Have fun reading and eating those delicious sounding cookies :-)

Nise' said...

Enjoy your Spring reading. I just brought home Cross Country from the library.

bigguysmama said...

I enjoyed Neta's book! I want to read Kingsbury, Gill, and Duggar's books. Never heard of Gill's book, but sounds like our family would enjoy it!

Blessings,
Mimi B
Woven by Words

Ashley said...

I really enjoy Nicholas Sparks books, so have fun with those!

-Ashley