Sunday, May 10, 2009

Holy Delicious.

Last night, we attended a small celebration for our friend, Grant, who graduated from law school. Congratulations, Grant! He and his wife, Emily, are friends of ours from college and it is so wonderful to live in the same city now!

We had been out with them the night before for Tyler's birthday and Emily told me about a dessert that she was making for Grant's graduation. It is on the current cover of
Better Homes and Gardens. She explained it as a peanut butter bar with strawberry preserves and fresh strawberries on top. It sounded good and Emily is a great cook and baker, so I was looking forward to it.

Looking forward to it? Had I known how delicious it was, I would have counted the hours until I had this treat. Lord have mercy, it made me want to slap my momma; it was that good. She served it with fresh whipped cream and I'll be darned if I've ever tasted anything so good.

Naturally, my mind starts racing to when I can make this treat for myself and justify it. Let's face it, making an entire pan of these just because isn't going to cut it right before bathing suit season. I have a feeling that they would mysteriously disappear in a matter of about 48 hours and the person who would make them disappear would have the initials of Rachel Haney. Someone else in this house has self control, but I'll tell you, it ain't me.

Well, lightening has struck and I have decided to make them for our dessert contribution to small group on Tuesday night. This way, I feel totally fine about making them seeing as though I won't gorge myself on the entire batch, praise the Lord. I'm actually putting it out here on the blog that I am making these for the accountability.
Sally, if I show up to your house with a batch of store bought cookies, you'll know that I couldn't help myself and ate the entire pan myself. You have my permission in advance to shame me in front of the entire group if that happens.

Instead of going out and actually buying the magazine like a good consumer, I chose to do a Google search for the recipe instead. Lo and behold, I found the recipe (and pictures!) on
Cupcakes and Crinoline. Go on over to her website and make these-- or don't, because I don't want to sound bossy. But if you do, cut me a piece, put some fresh whipped cream on top, and come on over for a cup of tea and we'll chat. Or you'll chat while I eat. One of the two.

3 comments :

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your post made me chuckle! : )

p.s. I blog my recipes so I have accountability-otherwise, I would hide the stuff and eat it all myself.

Clever Karen said...

I have been drooling over that same picture on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens, but haven't had a good excuse to make it yet! I never would have thought to combine peanut butter and strawberries, but it sure looks yummy!

Tarah said...

I too had been drooling over the picture and, after reading your post, decided to try to make it for my strawberry/peanut butter-loving husband. I was not as impressed as you were. :( It could have something to do with a LOT going on in my house while i was making it and leaving it in the mixer for a few too many minutes. Or that it's not strawberry season quite yet. Either way....I'll try the peanut butter bar again, but probably just eat that with some chocolate and/or fresh strawberries.