Saturday, September 12, 2009

Welcome Home!


I would like to officially tell all of you out there that the Mister and I have purchased our first home! We are completely thrilled with it and are in shock and awe that the Lord picked out this exact house for us. Seriously, we were not planning on purchasing until next spring at the earliest, but this house fell into our laps. After much prayer, we put in an offer and it was accepted! Isn't she beautiful? I can't wait to move in and to "show you all around".

A huge plus of our new home is that we get to pick out all of our own appliances. We are on the hunt for some good ones and after talking to some seasoned people, we still are not a whole lot closer to making a decision-- and we need to be! So, dear friends, I need your help. I am counting on you to bombard me with information. I am going to make you a list so you can answer them by number, if you want. That is my compulsiveness shining right on through.

1. If you have a front loading washer, how have you enjoyed it? Ty had heard from a friend that they have to wipe theirs down on the inside after every wash to insure that it doesn't mold. That is not okay with me. What are the pros and cons to having a front loading both washer and dryer? (Our laundry room is on the first floor and there is a door that we can close when it is running.)

2. We are pretty well set on stainless steel Whirlpool appliances. If you have any Whirlpool appliances (stainless or not), again, what are the pros and cons? We are going to be purchasing a fridge, dishwasher, microwave, and stove. (It has to be an electric stove.)

3. I know that stainless steel shows fingerprints, but again, we are pretty well set. What do you use to clean your stainless steel? I use
Method Stainless Steel cleaner for my sink here and I love it, but if you have any other opinions, I would love to hear! FYI, I love Method products. They are all natural and I use them (along with cleaners I make myself) in my house. You can buy them at Target and Biggs, along with some other places. I highly recommend them.

I think that's all for now, but then again, it is 10:42 pm and it is a proven fact that my brain shuts down at 9:36 pm every night. I think it's safe to say that Ty is the same way considering he is passed out on the loveseat. Bless his heart. It's time for bed.

Thanks in advance!

11 comments :

The Domestic Chick said...

congratulations! it is beautiful. where is it? bosch dishwashers are by far the best. i have had my fair share and they are the quietest ones out there and the quality is superior. as far as the front loader washers go, they are great for the amount of clothes that you can wash but in all honesty i liked my top loader better. you cant fill it and let it soak and it does tend to have a mildewy smell at times. they make a cleaner for them but that should tell you something:) they also have a casing around the door that is kinda like a tube of sorts that always "eats" the socks. it is definately a love hate relationship. happy house day!

Hedda said...

1. Beautiful, we have front loaders for our laundry and we love them. The only downside the door to the washer often bonks the wall when it opens all the way (it is close to where the wall ends for the doorway). So, if I am not careful I will get a dent in the wall after it hits it about 50 trillion times. I have never even seen water in the window of our front load washer once it is done. It is all gone after the spin cycle. Anyway, hope that helps. God bless you and your new home.

Petrich Paluzza said...

We have front loaders ours are amana and love them....especially how much you can put in them. And they are so energy efficient. The rest of our appliances are maytag but black. I love the fridge with the drawer freezer on the bottom.
Just a sidenote- if you buy all the same brand you can get a rebate (we got $500 rebate) And if you do energy efficient check for rebates from that (we got another $150)
And lastly Whirlpool owns Maytag, and Amana so the quality is there but prices range because people buy by the name http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/

Kate Craig said...

can you get brushed stainless steel? it makes a big difference.

I know nothing about appliances!

Mandy and Jack said...

That is SO cute!! I love it! Congratulations!

Tarah said...

I have a set of Maytag Bravos quiet series 300 washer and dryer. the washer is top loading (and it's recommended that it be cleaned as well), the dryer is front loading. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my top loader, but for me it's just personal preference r/t the amount of touching that has to be done to get clothes in a top vs. front loader. I feel like i touch less if i can just drop them in vs. having to pick them up and push them in. weird, i know. It also has a capacity close to (maybe the same as) some front loaders.

my fridge is GE with the drawer freezer and double doors. I love it. It was important for me to have ice (crushed and cubed) and water on the door. Not all of them have it.

If you have hard water get a stainless interior dishwasher or it will require more maintenance. And don't be afraid to check discount stores or the discount sections of stores. we found our dishwasher at a significantly reduced price in the clearance section with nothing wrong with it. sometimes they are ordered and people change their minds and never even pick them up.

To add to Lyndsay's comment...there may also be federal or state tax rebates for buying energy efficient appliances. We just put in new windows and will get a tax rebate for them.

Good luck wading through all the choices!!!

Clever Karen said...

Oh, Rachel, congratulations! It is sooo pretty - especially that front porch. I'm so happy for you and can't wait to see inside!

Charity said...

Congrats to you and the Mister! It has it's challenges (like everything in life) but home-ownership is fun and rewarding.

Laura said...

Congrats on the house--that is SO exciting! And picking out appliances is funny but scary too--spending that kind of money you want to make sure you're gonna like what you get! I have top loader washer/dryers and i like them just fine (although they came with the house) and dont have any experience with front loaders (i've heard mixed reviews) but also know you can get energy effecient top loaders too...as far as a dishwasher though i would NOT recommend a whirlpool...or their other brands, my parents and sister have them (they got a discount because my uncle works for them) and they both have had nothing but trouble...my sister's didnt even last a year...we listened to their advice and went with a bosch--which we've loved so far (had it since around christmas time) so I think thats all the advice I have to share! -Laura

Amanda said...

I have no advice to offer... I just want to say that this house looks beeeeautiful! Congrats! :)

Mabe Babe Blog said...

I just happened to surf by your site from a comment you left on my blog back in Feb. Thank you for praying for my family.
My hubs and i have recently bought new FRIGIDAIRE professional series kitchen appliances, we LOVE them. Our appliance say to ONLY clean stainless with water and vinegar mixture, not to buy the stainless cleaners! And, the vinegar and water WORKS! We really haven't had a big problem with finger prints either!