Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Meal Plan Monday (on Tuesday... ha!)

Well, I'm no Mandy, but I do have my meal plan for the week. I'm going to try to do this weekly... emphasis on the word try. I find that I save a lot more money and time if I plan what I'm making each week and shop for it on Sunday, save a few of the fresh items. Tyler and I have also started this new game where we decide at the end of the meal if it is "recipe card worthy" or not. At the end of 2010, I want to make a book of our favorite recipes so far. I'm excited for this! I am also taking recipe suggestions and if you know of a good place online to "make" a cookbook, I would appreciate the information! I will try to let you know each week how things worked out and whether I am going to put the recipe in my book.

Sunday-- Crockpot Tilapia in Foil Packets (adapted for the oven), Wild Rice, and Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons-- We didn't love this, but we did like it. Before putting it on a card, I am going to try it in the slow cooker. There was a lot of lemon juice.

Monday-- Pioneer Woman's Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Salad-- Amazing. Simply amazing. Definitely going on a card.

Tuesday-- Taco Soup (recipe below) and Refried Beans-- Already on a card!

Wednesday-- Chili with Homemade Cornbread (recipe to come-- SOOO good!)-- Both the soup and cornbread are already card worthy!

Thursday-- Crockpot Gumbo with Brown Rice and Salad

Friday-- To be determined aka probably eat out with friends


I have Taco Soup in my crockpot at home today. This stuff is so delicious and I especially love it on a cold winter day. I got the recipe from my sweet friend, Caitlin, and thought you all might like it too!

Taco Soup

1 can black beans, with juice
1 can pinto beans, with juice
1 can corn, with juice
1 can Ro-Tel
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet dry ranch dressing
2 1/2 cups water
1 lb ground beef, browned with chopped onion and garlic

Throw it all in your crockpot and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Serve with blue corn chips, Fritos, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.

That's it! It is sooooo good; I promise you'll love it! And if you don't know what Ro-Tel is, then I pity you. Go find some at your grocery store today. That is a command, not a suggestion.

Most of the other recipes are found in PW's cookbook and the Crockpot 365 cookbook. I got both for Christmas and have already marked my "to try" recipes in both. I would recommend both of these books if you like to cook! You can also follow their blogs here and here.

Bon Appetit! Sometimes, I remind myself so much of Julia Child... or not.

6 comments :

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Oh my gosh. That crock pot gumbo looks awesome. Jack LOVES gumbo but his mom is Cajun so there are some pretty high expectations to live up to on this one. I'm definitely going to try it though!!!

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Also, I basically copied almost every recipe for my first week of February plan. It looks Ahhhmazing.

Anonymous said...

I do meal-planning except i just pick 4 meals (allowing for one likely eat out meal or the dreaded leftovers), i don't assign them to days because i never want to eat what what i've planned when i do it that way. :) we just choose whatever of the 4 sound good for that night. :)

i also have a taco/tortilla soup recipe that is SUPER easy...

1 can black beans with juice
1 can corn, without juice
1 can rotel, with juice (i buy the mild kind because i'm a wuss)
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 shredded chicken breast

dump into a pot, heat to boiling, simmer 10 min. serve. voila. :)

Laura Webber said...

Thanks for the kind linkage... your Taco Soup sounds fabulous!!!

Le said...

i hope to see you at church soon. we have been coming to grace for about 3 weeks now. love it!

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Making this right now!!!