I'm afraid that I've been neglecting the blog lately. It's not that I want to be a neglectful blogger. It's just that I've had an insane amount of life to do lately and I can't help but focus on that as opposed to my online journal. But since this is my blog and I do have a moment, I would like to update you on my life as of late. I know you've all been dying to know what is going on day to day. My life is so fascinating that I can't blame you.
As some of you know, I'm training for another half marathon in May. I was just telling my friend Mary that I hate the training but love the race. Nothing could be more true. The training is long and... well... I don't love to run. GASP. I know. However, it does make me feel accomplished and healthier and I love to look forward to the end result. After running on Tuesday, I began to suffer from a knee pain that is leaving me feeling a bit like Lindsey Vonn. You know, other than the fact that she has a shin injury and my knee hurts. And she's an Olympian and I'm not. Other than that, me and Lindsey? We're two peas in a pod. Clearly.
Speaking of the Olympics, I've been finding myself fascinated when I'm not falling asleep. And by falling asleep, I don't mean due to boredom but due to the fact that the good stuff is usually on past my night-owl bedtime of 10:00 pm sharp. Mamaw needs her rest, you know. The sad thing is that I love the Olympics and it's just not the same watching them on DVR the next day after you know who has won. The screaming at the television does not hold them same intensity after you've already celebrated the victory of the Flying Tomato. Oh Shaun White, you are so ugly that you're cute. You're like the mutt in the pound that no one can resist because they feel sorry for it... only with a gold medal or two. Gold medals surely make the mutt more attractive. Gold medals also make the cute dogs (read: Evan Lysacek) even hotter cuter. My word, I saw him on the Today Show this morning and I swooned as only a happily married woman with her husband lying in bed next to her can.

Also, while we are in the spirit of the Olympic games, has anyone ever heard of the biathlon before now? T and I were at dinner the other night and were both thoroughly confused as to what the heck it even was. We ended up chatting with the darling family of six who was seated next to us and wondering the same thing. Afterwards, I whispered to T, "I want to be them." I love people with lots of children. I digress. Back to the games. When my class was writing about their favorite Olympic sport, one child asked me what the sport was where they "skied and shot guns". It took all that I had within me not to say, "Child, that is surely NOT A SPORT." Skiing? Yes. Shooting guns? Maybe. Skiing and shooting guns? Most assuredly NOT. Instead, I informed him that the Olympic event was a biathlon. Unfortunately, many of my boys had chosen this as their favorite Olympic "sport". I guess if it has guns, they like it. Pitiful. What will I do if I have sons? I guess that is what my husband is for, along with other things of course.
Do you know what should be an Olympic sport? Pregnancy. Not that I'd know from personal experience, but my good friend Emily is nearing the finish line of her pregnancy (how do you like that sports analogy!?) and she has been a champ (another one!). Baby girl will be arriving in about a months time and I for one cannot wait. I see Em at least once a week and I have been privy to some pretty entertaining things that other people have said to her throughout the duration of her pregnancy. Case in point, an actual conversation that Em sent me a few days ago.
Man: When are you due?
Emily: Next month, March.
Man: It seems like you have been pregnant forever.
Emily: I know.
People, PLEASE. Think before you speak. Clearly, she has not been pregnant forever. A woman is pregnant for NINE MONTHS(or ten, depending on how you look at it), not INFINITY MONTHS. Idiot.
Anyway, I really do love the Olympics and I get the chills every time they play the National Anthem. I especially love it when the athletes sing along or play the air guitar (thank you, Shaun White). I love what the Olympics do for our national pride, even if it's only for two weeks. If they left out the guns, it would be near perfect. As I'm sure you've concluded, I'm not a fan of the gun in any way, shape, or form. It's my more liberal side coming out. But I'll take the Olympics with the guns rather than leave it altogether. Sort of like I'll take People magazine with the candid pictures of celebrities rather than leave it. Only not, because that might be my favorite part of the magazine. Might.
As for now, just as I was about to finish up this gripping and informative commentary on the Olympics, I kid you not, I heard the Olympic theme song start playing loudly outside my classroom. My first thought, sadly, was, "Someone read my blog post and they're playing a trick on me!" No, Rachel, no one read your blog post because YOU'RE STILL WRITING IT. Unreal. It was actually the kindergarten class having their opening ceremonies of the Kindergarten Olympics. The timing was sublime. People, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
You all have a great weekend. Go Team USA!

3 comments :
I feel vindicated! Thanks Rach - Foxy cannot wait to come out and meet Auntie RaRa
ohh poor emily! Those people stink:) They obviously have never carried a child for 9 months...
You? Are adorable. We live entirely too far away from one another.
Post a Comment