Anyway, two of my favorite bloggers, The Newlywed Next Door and Erin at Blue-Eyed Bride, did their book lists of 2010. I do realize that we are a good 1/12th into 2010, but when has rhyme or reason ever stopped me? I gave myself two books per month to read but I am confident that there will be more sandwiched in there because reading is my #1 hobby, other than watching Pants on the Ground on YouTube over and over until I can't breathe because I'm laughing so hard. If you don't know the Pants on the Ground song, I'd advise you to watch the video quickly because it will change your life for the better. You also won't take the risk of lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground if you are aware of the risk. WATCH.
Okay, back to books. Here are my top choices for 2010!
Month 1: The Real Real by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus and Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore with Lynn Vincent
I am nearly finished with The Real Real and I'm not loving it. I want to finish for the sake of finishing at this point. Same Kind of Different as Me has been started and I can't wait to get further into it.
Month 2: Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus and Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky
The sequel to one of my favorite books (The Nanny Diaries) is finally out! Hooray! I'm also excited to read Not My Daughter which is based on the pregnancy pact of those 18 or so high school girls that came out a few years ago.
Month 3: Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom and The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan
I really enjoy Mitch Albom as an author and the second book is a children's chapter book that I am going to read aloud to my class next. It was recommended by my aunt who read it with her daughter!
Month 4: The Wedding Girl by Sophie Kinsella writing as Madeleine Wickham and Down Came the Rain by Brooke Shields
I love, love, love Sophie Kinsella! The Shopaholic books were laugh out loud hysterical, much better than the movie, although I did enjoy the movie. I have also wanted to read Brooke Shield's book for awhile as depression is something that is very close to my heart.
Month 5: Shanghai Girls by Lisa See and Dewey: A Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter
Shanghai Girls was recommended to me by the owner of a bed and breakfast we visited this summer. Dewey looks like a sweet and easy read and I absolutely love stories about animals.
Month 6: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and Witch & Wizard by James Patterson
I am intrigued by Firefly Lane after reading about it on several blogs. I also enjoy James Patterson's books sometimes, but he tends to get a bit too dark for my liking. I want to give his newest a try before I write it off completely.
Month 7: Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus and A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers
Another book by the authors of The Nanny Diaries. The Real Real doesn't have me convinced that I want to swear off them as authors. I have also heard from many, many friends that I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO READ THE MARK OF THE LION SERIES OR I WON'T BE A CHRISTIAN ANYMORE. Well, not really, but they have been rather enthusiastic. I'm not into historical fiction, but am willing to give this a try since I enjoyed Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.
Month 8: Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow and The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
I am actually currently reading the first book and am about to start going through it with a good friend (Hi, Libs!). I'm really excited to start meeting with her and reading together! This is already a fantastic book and I would highly recommend it. I have also heard good things about The Friday Night Knitting Club.
Month 9: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Wells and Going Rogue by Sarah Palin
I first heard about The Glass Castle from Sally and am super intrigued. And yes, I actually am quite looking forward to reading Sarah Palin's book-- don't hate. I like her and think she is interesting and if you aren't okay with that, well then, remember that we live in American and are free to make our own choices! Ha!
Month 10: The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I Will Carry You by Angie Smith
I can't wait to read The Help and am so pumped to read Angie's book when it comes out later this year. I bet a lot of you feel the same way! :)
Month 11: Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs and A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken
I have been wanting to read Love and Respect for a long time after hearing so many people rave about it. I'm sure it's great, but I like to formulate my own opinions about things! My sweet brother gave us A Severe Mercy (FYI, I just typed A Severe Mother-- WHAT? My mother is ANYTHING but severe!) for our first married Christmas and we still haven't made it all the way through. This year is the year!
Month 12: Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Story of an Owl and His Girl by Stacey O'Brien and The Overnight Socialite by Bridie Clark
I love owls so I absolutely have to read this book. I have a feeling it will put me in tears by the end, but that's okay with me. I also heard about The Overnight Socialite from Blue-Eyed Bride and it looks like a fun story I'd enjoy.
Well, there you have it! Have any of you read any of these books? If so, what did you think? If you have any other recommendations, I would love to hear them as well. As I said earlier, I will read plenty of other books this year, so I will need other suggestions. What are some of your book choices this year? And, for good measure, be sure to keep your pants off the ground because if not, you'll be lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!

5 comments :
I also loved The Nanny Diaries. Probably because I was a nanny for quite a while and could relate.
The Glass Castle is one of my all-time favorites. You won't be disappointed. And Same Kind of Different as Me is on my "to-read" list for this year. However, my five-book-list looks quite dismal compared to your twenty-four.
Oh you have such a great list!
I loved Nanny Diaries and could predict so much of what was going to happen from my nanny experience...I will enjoy reading Nanny Returns as well.
Dewey has been on my list for a while but I have never gotten to it.
Friday Night Knitting Club was my book club selection a few months ago- I really enjoyed it. I would recommend Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson for you. Sort of reminds me that with a Christian appeal.
Glass Castle, also been on my list for a while.
I will carry you...uh, yeah...can't wait. So excited and I preordered it the first day I saw it available for PO
I am going to check into Same Kind of different...looks good.
Thanks for such a great list, I can't wait to hear what you think of them. I hope you check into Yada Yada Prayer group too!
Enjoyed reading your book list! You will enjoy Glass Castle. I'm making my kids read it when they turn 12. Maybe we can read Linda Dillow's Calm my Anxious Heart together. Matt's mom gave it to me a while back and I never read it....Wonder why she would give it to ME? I'd love to get into the Percy Jackson series with the kids as well. My sister lives in San Antonio and they know Rick Riordan! Cool huh? I'm currently reading 1000 splendid suns, while my kids watch tv and eat cheetos.
Rachel!
Love your book list... first of all, you will LOVE Dewey. I received it as a gift because I have an orange cat named Dewey:) hehe.
also, you will looooooove, and i mean loooooooooove Calm My Anxious Heart. I have read it twice. And, the Tammy she talks about ( i think in the second or third chapter) is our dear Tammy who is married to a certain pastor who shares the same name as my puppy:)
Haha, I saw a man reading "Going Rogue" on the train the other day and I definitely did a double take! But I will agree, she is very interesting! :)
Post a Comment