Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Strut Songs and Allegra


Every once in awhile, my friend Erin does a post asking what you would choose as your own personal strut song. She does a great job of defining that on her blog, but it's basically a song that you'd like to play each time you walk in a room.

When I read her post yesterday, I knew immediately what song I would choose. And it is downright shameful. 

My strut song is Yeah! by Usher. You can look it up, but I cannot in good conscience put the YouTube video on my blog.



Have you ever heard it? It's so darn catchy! And fun! And spunky! I'm pretty sure when Usher, Lil Jon, and Ludacris recorded this song, "spunky" was probably not on their list of descriptive song words.

I have a lot of funny memories associated with this song, one being our wedding. The DJ played this song later in our reception and people went insane. My dad said he's never seen anything like it. Haha! 

I said that I couldn't put the video on my post, but what I can do is show you one of my very favorite movie scenes that includes the song. 

In this video, Hitch (Will Smith) is teaching Albert (Kevin James) how to dance to impress his lady friend, Allegra (Amber Valetta). More on the name Allegra later. Anyway, it's one of my top movie scenes ever. If you've never seen Hitch, watch it tonight. 




Every time I see this scene, I cackle. Yeah! is most definitely my main strut song and I would be sure to throw in some Albert-esque dance moves because that's just how I roll. My personal favorites are the Q-Tip and when he makes the pizza. Classic. No one would be able to ignore me when I would enter the room dancing and singing to Usher and I'm sure it would just make everyone else want to get up and dance, right?

If I had to pick an alternate strut song, I would choose "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. I've loved that song since I saw it in Stepmom many moons ago. Apparently my strut songs come from movies? I'm sensing a pattern. 


My third and final strut song would be Maxine Nightengale's "Right Back Where We Started From". It's another peppy, fun song and I do love me some oldies. Who doesn't? I remember when I was little thinking that the Spice Girls would be on the oldies radio station when I grew up. Not quite.


What are your strut songs? Go over and leave them on Erin's post, too! I'm loving reading the comments people are leaving her!

And as a side note, my baby girl name has been Allegra since I saw Hitch, but Tyler is so anti-Allegra. Come to think of it, so are most people I share that with. I usually get one of two reactions. The first being, "You want to name your future daughter after an allergy medicine?" The second reaction is, "You want to name your future daughter after that puppet from the 90's?" Please see said puppet from Allegra's Window below.



NO, I do not want to name her after medication nor do I want to name her after a creepy colorful puppet. I want to name her after the beautiful blonde nerd woman in Hitch who fell in love with an endearing dweeb because she loved him for WHO HE WAS. You know, because it's far more normal to name an imaginary child after a fictional movie character who does not exist. 

I don't know how I got from strut songs to this, but it is what it is.

Happy Wednesday, lovelies! 

1 comment :

Michelle said...

I didn't think of either of those when I read 'Allegra' in fact - I thought of a violin song I played when I was learning as a child called Allegra and it was one of my favorites because it was super peppy and upbeat! Now you have a new association :-)