Monday, April 8, 2013

Menu Monday

I'm linking up again with Rachel to share what we had for supper this week!

We had a busy and fun week because Nana and Poppie were in town! It was Tyler's mom's spring break, so she and Poppie came for a visit. It was fun spending time with them and it gave me a little break, which is always nice!

Nana made her famous mostaccioli, which is one of my favorite pasta dishes. Griffin loves it, too! I didn't get a picture, but once I make it for us, I will share it. It's the best recipe!

I only cooked a few times, but it was a good food week for us! Please excuse the iPhone photography. Dinner time is usually the last time I can pull out my camera!



I first heard about this pasta from Hillary, then again from Rachel! If you're looking for an easy meal this week, make this. There is nothing bad about it other than the fact that it's not the healthiest supper. Just use the turkey sausage and whole wheat pasta and you'll be good. At least that's what I tell myself. I served this with a green salad and little Sister Schubert individual baguettes from the freezer section.

Cheesy Taco Soup and Chi Chi's Sweet Corn Cake





In the fall and winter, we always have soup on Fridays. This was a winner! It's delicious and filling. Unfortunately, Tyler is a little picky on what he eats during the summer, so I think this recipe will be filed away for the first cool Friday in the fall. I picked up some of this Chi Chi's Sweet Corn Cake mix and it was perfect! I loved the sweet side with the savory soup. It reminds me so much of the corn side you get at Don Pablo's. If you're having any Mexican meals this week, I'd highly suggest this as a side! I found it in the Mexican aisle at Kroger.

Grilled Chicken Sandwiches and Smoky Parmesan Roasted Potatoes



I was inspired to have grilled chicken sandwiches after Rachel posted about them a few weeks ago. I marinated chicken breasts in the marinade above. It was my first time using that Trader Joe's marinade and I can't wait to use it again! It added the perfect flavor to the chicken. We topped ours with extra sharp white cheddar slices (from TJ's as well), tomato, avocado, and bacon. We enjoyed the teeny tiny potatoes on the side (again, from TJ's, I have a problem). They were the perfect salty addition to our sandwiches! I'm suddenly realizing that I took the world's worst picture of these. I am clearly not cut out to be a food blogger or photographer.

Trader Joe's Macaroni and Cheese

image via

Tyler went out on Saturday night to watch basketball with some friends from small group, so I stayed in, tidied the house, and had a date night with this macaroni and cheese. Hands down, it is the best mac and cheese I've ever had from the freezer! I can't vouch for the calories, but it's worth it. I just ate this. No salad, no green vegetable, nothing. Me and my macaroni and cheese-- it was a beautiful night. I'm realizing that a lot of our meals are based on things I can get from Trader Joe's. Maybe I should do a TJ's post soon!

Happy Monday!

6 comments :

Not So Newlyweds said...

We love the spicy sausage pasta and it's on the menu for this week! I have never been to Trader Joes. Gasp! I know. But I've heard their food is awesome. We will have to plan a trip soon. The mac and cheese looks delish!

Sarah Hedlund said...

I'm making the spicy sausage pasta for the first time tonight!

Kodi said...

OR MAYBE you should stop rubbing it in my face how awesome TJ's is when I live nowhere near one. Jerk.

Sally said...

Your whole blog looks yummy! I'm finally blogging again...switched to WP. Still not used to it. Glad to "catch up" on your blog! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Great meals. That soup looks amazing. I would love to read a post about Trader Joes as I've never been to one! I love Whole Foods and Fresh Market so I'm sure I'd love TJ's too!

Rachel said...

Must find that chis chis corn cake mix!!!!