Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 1 :: Packing & Unpacking

Well, here I am. Day one is finished. How was I intentional today?

Believe it or not, I had dreams about posting every day in October last night. Dreams! Plural! I started thinking too much about how this was supposed to look for me and I think it worried my subconscious.

But that's why I titled it imperfectly intentional. So relax, Rachel. No more bad dreams about blogging.

Today we traveled home from four days away in Michigan. A lot of my intentionality today was based on packing and unpacking. Strange, right?

Since we live far from both sets of our parents, a lot of our time the last six years has revolved around packing and unpacking. Let me be clear: I hate packing and unpacking. It stresses me out like nothing else. It usually starts a fight between me and Tyler and not because of him. I know; I'm basically admitting that I'm the reason we fight sometimes. I know you're shocked.

Anyway, today I decided to suck it up. I decided to stop complaining and pack my stuff. And not only did I pack my stuff, I loaded our car while Tyler was working. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have never packed the car for a trip unless it's just been me and Griffin going and Tyler is out of town.

When we got home, Tyler unloaded the car and I stretched my legs for a bit. After that, I decided to suck it up again and unpack us immediately. This is a huge deal for me and let me tell you why. It usually takes me days, nay, WEEKS to unpack us. Typically, our bags sit on the floor of our bedroom and we live out of them until I'm having trouble sleeping because our house is such a mess.


So basically, by being intentional and thinking briefly about how it would help all of us to get these things done today, it made for a much, much smoother travel day. By packing the car, we were able to leave earlier which blessed my husband. By unpacking our luggage, I was able to bless myself and my family by not immediately trashing our house that I'd left clean on Friday.

It felt good. It felt good to get those things done and not be a lazy bum like all the one million trips before. It felt good to be intentional about something, no matter how small it seemed.

And I'd like to think God gave me a little bonus today because the child that never, ever sleeps in the car was out like a light within 10 minutes of leaving my parents house today. Good boy, Griffin!


And there we have it... day one, finished. We'll see what kind of crazy dreams I have tonight. But hey! I can blame it on pregnancy, right? 


This is the first post in my 31 Days of Being Imperfectly Intentional series.

3 comments :

Annie said...

This post is slicing conviction into me since I just got home from Influence and all my bags are still sitting on the floor untouched. Ahhh! You're right; it really would make things so much easier if I just did it right away instead of being the catalyst for a mess!

Amy said...

we are soul mates. i just know it. (says the girl who is juuuuuuust about finished unpacking our things from vacation TWO WEEKS ago!) :)

Anonymous said...

I can relate! There's an unpacked, still zipped up garment bag hanging on my closet door from a week and a half ago. I need to be a little more intentional, too! I'm also doing the 31 day thing, too. October is going to be a long month because of that so I don't have high hopes for that garment bag...