Monday, October 21, 2013

Day 21 :: Meal Planning

If you've read my blog for any length of time, it's probably clear to you that I live to eat. Tyler doesn't really care much about food and it's tragic. I literally ache for him deep in my heart.

One of the things that I'm really intentional about on a weekly basis is meal planning and grocery shopping. It's easy for me to be that way since I enjoy cooking so much.

I thought I'd share what we're having for dinner this week. I've been only cooking about four nights a week lately, leaving room for leftovers and dinner out. However, I'm cooking most nights this week since my parents are coming for a quick visit on Wednesday!

I also typically do my grocery shopping on Mondays after I pick up Griffin from school. He loves going with me and having a cookie from the bakery. I had a doctor's appointment today though so we're going to go to Kroger in the morning. He has captured the heart of the head baker there and calls him "Griffin's buddy". It's pretty sweet!

Monday: Trader Joe's Kung Pao Chicken with rice and veggie egg rolls
I had everything for this meal at home, which was helpful since I didn't get a chance to run to Kroger today. This chicken is definitely spicy but it's delicious. I added half of a bag of frozen stir fry veggies to ours and it was perfect.

Tuesday: Crock Pot Coney Dogs with potato chips and pickles 
Megan has talked about these several times and I'm finally going to get around to making them this week. I love a good coney dog and when you can use the crockpot? Sign me up! I need to write a post someday with all of our favorite crock pot recipes. It's definitely one of the most important pieces in my kitchen.

Wednesday: Warm Steak & Asparagus Salad with TJ's Orzo & Rice Pilaf and salad
This is one of our very favorite recipes. Tyler actually loves this one and always tells me so when I make it. I made it for my family when we were in Florida this winter and it was a huge hit, so I thought I'd make it when my parents are here. I always leave out the walnuts. And that rice pilaf? If you don't live near a Trader Joe's, I will happily ship you some. It'll change your life.

Thursday: Chicken Pot Pie with warm cinnamon apples and green beans
This is comfort food at its very finest. This pot pie couldn't be easier and we love the combination of flavors when you combine the pot pie with a side of apples and green beans. The hardest part of this meal is shredding the rotisserie chicken. This is a great company meal that doesn't take a ton of effort!

Friday: Cheesy White Chicken Chili with cornbread
We always have soup or chili on Fridays in the fall and winter, so we're trying this chili this week. I can't vouch for it yet, since I've never made it, but I found it through a Google search. There's a restaurant in Michigan called Olga's Kitchen and they have the BEST white chicken chili. I've been craving it, so I'm desperately hoping that this tastes like a replica. No one makes white chicken chili (or bread) like Olga!

Saturday: Date Night with friends!

Meal planning really works for us. Like I said above, I rarely cook this much any more, but this is a special week. If we plan to have leftovers one night, I write that on my meal plan so I know what to expect. Even if we're just having macaroni and cheese from a box, I write that down. It helps me so much to just have a specific plan in place.

I also don't commit to making a specific meal on a specific night unless we're having company. It gives me a little breathing room to be able to switch meals if something comes up one night or during the day. Again, it just helps me immeasurably to know what ingredients I have in the house and what to cook with said ingredients.

What about you? Do you meal plan? I love to hear what different people do!

In the meantime, I'll be dreaming about those coneys tomorrow. You think I'm kidding, but sadly, you'd be wrong.


This is my twenty first post in my 31 Days of Being Imperfectly Intentional series

2 comments :

bjoykillen said...

Hey Rachel,
If you love meal planning etc, have you heard of/used "food on the table"? It's a recipe program that creates a shopping list for you, and let's you choose what day you want it on, as well as compare sales at stores if you want (ie. if item is on sale at Kroger). It's a pain to move all your recipes over to it, but so handy! I use this one and emeals off and on. I agree with having somewhat of a food plan...makes for easier life with little ones :)
Btw, I love reading your blog...you really encourage me cuz I feel we are in the same stage in life with the kids right now (A. being 2.5 yrs old and I'm 25 weeks pregnant).

Andie said...

I try to meal plan every Sunday based on what is in the fridge/pantry, etc. too!! Some days I'm better at it than others, though. haha.

RE: White Chicken Chili, I have a post I shared not too long ago for one that is SUPER EASY and also can be adapted for the crockpot if you want to leave it in there all day:
http://www.sweetsouthernspirited.com/2013/10/tasty-tuesday-white-chicken-chili.html

in fact, now I"m thinking I may make it this weekend while we are camping!!! :)