One thing that was positive about the first part of 2013 was the fact that I was spending a lot of time in prayer and in God's word every day. I had literally hit rock bottom and I had nowhere else to go. Although a big part of our lives were being turned upside down, I had a very steady peace that passed my own understanding.
I know this was a direct result of my consistent quiet times. I would get up early before both Tyler and Griffin and spend time reading, praying, and journaling. I was walking closely with God and although it was a painful time, it was a very sweet time as well.
Since getting pregnant and having to camp out in the bathroom with my head over the toilet for the better part of 18 weeks, I really let my quiet time slide. As a result, I have been pretty wretched over the last few months.
This morning, I set my alarm and got up while it was still dark. I made a pot of coffee and settled in to do my quiet time. I am definitely one of those people who needs quality over quantity when it comes to my devotions. I'm currently focusing on one chapter of the New Testament each day and picking a verse for the day. I write it on an index card and keep it with me all day to meditate on it when I have a chance.
I also do my Jesus Calling for the day and am reading through the Old Testament in a year, so I do my assigned reading for that. Sometimes I read other things as well or journal, but today, I focused on reading.
It really did set the tone for the rest of my day. Sure, I'm a little more tired than usual, but it was so worth it for me to have that quiet, still time to spend with the Lord. I didn't necessarily have an easier day than normal... in fact, Griffin had some major behavior issues today, but I did notice that I was slower to anger with him than I have been lately. I believe that's a direct result of taking some quiet time with the Lord before I started my busy day.
It's my goal this week to get up every morning and have my quiet time. I'll be sure to report back at the end of the week.
The other intentional part of my day was taking a long walk with my guys before dinner tonight. The weather was perfect, so we popped Griffin in the stroller and just walked and walked. We put our phones away (save for a few pictures) and took the time to talk and catch up. We even saw a bulldozer and I have to say... the fit that came when we had to say goodbye was EPIC. Griffin Haney is his mother's strong-willed child.
There truly are few things I enjoy more than a good walk with Tyler and Griffin. We don't do it enough because there are usually all sorts of excuses (usually from me) but we made time to do it today. I'm so grateful for my sweet family and these moments we have together.
My relationships with the Lord, Tyler, and Griffin are truly what I desire to be the most intentional about. I'm thankful for a day where I got to enjoy and develop each one.
This is the seventh post in my 31 Days of Being Imperfectly Intentional series.




1 comment :
Our epic fits come from saying goodbye to cats and dogs :) I've just recently reached the point where I can get up early (and drink coffee!) too and it makes such a difference!
Post a Comment