However, I have a problem with reading many books at once. This can sometimes be an issue because I tend to not finish books in their entirety. I read most of the book, but then I find another book and start it. Before I know it, I have to return the half read book to the library so as not to incur any large fines. I'm sure Ty is laughing as he reads this because I am known for my large library fines. Not good.
I'm embarrassed to tell you that this is the first book that I've actually finished in 2010. I'm cringing a little bit as I write this because I have some grand book plans for this year. I think I need to stop being hard on myself, though, because my time is so limited during the week and on the weekends, it's very important that I catch up on my TV shows. Please note the sarcasm.
This weekend, I picked up this book at the library on a whim. It was on the return cart and the book jacket sounded intriguing.
The summary from the book jacket is as follows...
How far would you go to protect your family?
Ann Brooks never thought she’d have to answer that question. Then she found her limits tested by a crisis no one could prevent. Now, as her neighborhood descends into panic, she must make tough choices to protect everyone she loves from a threat she cannot even see. In this chillingly urgent novel, Carla Buckley confronts us with the terrifying decisions we are forced to make when ordinary life changes overnight.
A year ago, Ann and Peter Brooks were just another unhappily married couple trying–and failing–to keep their relationship together while they raised two young daughters. Now the world around them is about to be shaken as Peter, a university researcher, comes to a startling realization: A virulent pandemic has made the terrible leap across the ocean to America’s heartland.
And it is killing fifty out of every hundred people it touches.
Ann Brooks never thought she’d have to answer that question. Then she found her limits tested by a crisis no one could prevent. Now, as her neighborhood descends into panic, she must make tough choices to protect everyone she loves from a threat she cannot even see. In this chillingly urgent novel, Carla Buckley confronts us with the terrifying decisions we are forced to make when ordinary life changes overnight.
A year ago, Ann and Peter Brooks were just another unhappily married couple trying–and failing–to keep their relationship together while they raised two young daughters. Now the world around them is about to be shaken as Peter, a university researcher, comes to a startling realization: A virulent pandemic has made the terrible leap across the ocean to America’s heartland.
And it is killing fifty out of every hundred people it touches.
As their town goes into lockdown, Peter is forced to return home–with his beautiful graduate assistant. But the Brookses’ safe suburban world is no longer the refuge it once was. Food grows scarce, and neighbor turns against neighbor in grocery stores and at gas pumps. And then a winter storm strikes, and the community is left huddling in the dark.
Trapped inside the house she once called home, Ann Brooks must make life-or-death decisions in an environment where opening a door to a neighbor could threaten all the things she holds dear.
I enjoyed this book. It sucked me in right from the beginning and it was a quick read. I finished it in the 4 1/2 hour drive back from Detroit to Cincinnati this weekend. It explores the interesting concept of what we would do if a true pandemic swept our world by storm. It had me truly freaked out at some points, thinking, "I'd better get back on my couponing and stock piling because if this happens to us, we're in TROUBLE!" It gets you thinking about just what you might have to do in order to survive if something like avian flu gripped our nation.
Trapped inside the house she once called home, Ann Brooks must make life-or-death decisions in an environment where opening a door to a neighbor could threaten all the things she holds dear.
I enjoyed this book. It sucked me in right from the beginning and it was a quick read. I finished it in the 4 1/2 hour drive back from Detroit to Cincinnati this weekend. It explores the interesting concept of what we would do if a true pandemic swept our world by storm. It had me truly freaked out at some points, thinking, "I'd better get back on my couponing and stock piling because if this happens to us, we're in TROUBLE!" It gets you thinking about just what you might have to do in order to survive if something like avian flu gripped our nation.
Was it the best book I've ever read? No, but I really would recommend it. It's a bit of a thriller, if you will. Keep in mind that my idea of thriller is nothing more intense than this novel which is about a pandemic. I get scared easily. :) It is pretty interesting to think about what your reaction might be if this became a reality and how you'd begin to interact with others in fear of getting this flu. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending; it felt a little forced and unsettled to me. That's always a bit of a disappointment, but overall, I enjoyed the story.
I give it a six out of ten. This is Carla Buckley's first book and I think she did a great job. She is a talented and engaging writer. I will definitely pick up her next book when it is published. It's worth your while if you want a quick and easy read that is entertaining and a bit thought provoking.
What have you read lately?


1 comment :
I saw Wicked last year in NY and wanted to read the book after that. I have it, but it's kind of hard to get into. Hopefully I can finish it.
I'm also a sucker for books by celebrities.
Post a Comment