Friday, November 12, 2010

Muffins and Macaroni


When I got pregnant this summer, I got sick. I'm talking sick sick. I threw up almost everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, for about 4 months. It was not pleasant. I also lost my appetite and desire to cook. I still am slowly regaining the passion I once felt for food. Now, it's mostly because I'm tired that I don't have a desire to cook and bake, but I am feeling the urge much more than I was this summer.


I really love fall foods. Chili, cornbread, soups, stews, anything with pumpkin, I'm totally game. My love for fall food and the fact that I'm feeling like myself once again has caused me to make some new recipes lately. I am SO GLAD. It's like the cooking angels blessed my dry and weary soul and said, "Here! Here are some recipes that are simple but taste like heaven itself!" Cooking and baking have once again become a true delight.

The first recipe I tried was from the Tastebook that my girlfriends from small group put together. I was craving an easy and delicious muffin and decided to make Katie's Almost-Like-Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins. Honestly, they were the best muffin I've ever made. You can make them in one bowl and they are perfect on a cold morning or when you're craving a quick snack. I can't wait to make them again! I'm thinking that I'll make them Thanksgiving week and take some when we go to visit our families.

The second recipe was one that I had saved on Tasty Kitchen quite sometime ago. If you haven't browsed the website, then GO. GO NOW. There are thousands of excellent recipes and I have gotten so many that I will use for years to come. Our chili recipe is adapted from TK and we absolutely love it. Anyway, I had Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese bookmarked and hadn't thought to try it. Last week was a busy week at work, and I wanted something easy to make for supper. I decided to make the mac and cheese and I could not believe how amazing it was! I'll admit, I'm a sucker for the blue box mac and cheese simply because of how creamy it is! I don't love baked macaroni and cheese, either, so I never thought that I would find a recipe for homemade mac and cheese that fit my standards. This is honestly the best macaroni and cheese I have ever had. Even if you don't like butternut squash, you can hardly taste it-- make this for dinner tonight!



Almost-Like-Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Makes about 24 muffins

3 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Pinch of cardamom (I didn't do this because I didn't have it)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups cooked or canned pumpkin
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
8 oz package cream cheese*
Chopped nuts** (walnuts, pecans) optional

Preheat oven to 350. Mix ingredients together except cream cheese and nuts. Fill muffin tins (greased or paper cups) half full. Put 1-2 tsp cream cheese in the middle, pressing down. Sprinkle with 1 tsp chopped nuts. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the muffin part (don't touch the cream cheese!). Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely. Do not touch the cream cheese until it cools, as it is very hot.

*Put the entire tub or brick of cream cheese on a piece of tin foil and shape it into a long log. Put it in the freezer while you mix and fill the pans, up to an hour. Unwrap and cut with a sharp knife. If the disks are too big around (mine were), cut thick slices and then cut them in half. This keeps the cream cheese in one big lump and also lets you push it down into the batter. I also think these will be great without the cream cheese. I'm going to try them without it the next time I make them!

**Starbucks uses chopped pumpkin seeds (if you can find them). I used walnuts and they were so good!


Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese (Printable)
Serves 4

2 cups small pasta (I wanted to find wheel shaped pasta, but used shells instead)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
¾ cups milk
½ cups butternut squash puree
1-½ cup Monterey Jack cheese
2 tablespoons cream cheese
½ teaspoons salt
⅛ teaspoons pepper
⅛ teaspoons paprika
Steamed vegetables of your choice

Bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add pasta and cook until pasta is tender (about 7 to 10 minutes). Strain and set aside.

Melt butter over medium low heat in a saucepan and add the flour. Whisk and cook for 2 minutes. It will resemble a paste.

Slowly add milk. Whisk until combined. Next add everything thing else. Stir until combined. Add sauce to the pasta and stir!

Note: I got home late when I made this, so I used butternut squash baby food! It was perfect, although I can't wait to roast and puree my own squash for the next time. I'm sure it would intensify the flavor in a great way. I also steamed some broccoli and added it to mine. It was incredible! The other person in my house didn't want any in his. I told him he would regret that decision. Jury is still out on whether he did or not.


I hope that these are helpful to you! Let me know if any of you decide to try your hand with either recipe. What are some good recipes you've been making this fall?

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

another super easy yummy pumpkin muffin is...box of spice cake and a small can of pumpkin pie. Bake following directions on the cake box. Cup of coffee...mmmmmm

Briana said...

Hey anonymous is Briana!!

pkgormong said...

I can't WAIT to try these out!!! Thanks for posting them Rachel!

Lindsey said...

yum - I'm making the muffins today! I'm sure they'll be great :)

Anonymous said...

I am going to make the muffins for Thanksgiving dinner! I can find all of those ingredients here in China. I am going to make the mac and cheese also.... Keep posting stuff, cause I LOVE the ideas.

You are looking super cute.