Sunday, October 13, 2013

Days 11, 12, & 13 :: Friendships

I took the past few days off of blogging about my 31 intentional days, but I want to share what I spent some of my time doing.

I need to back up a little bit.

We've now lived in Cincinnati for a little over six years. When we moved here, I was a little bit resistant... to put it lightly. It's taken me the better part of those six years to become unresistant. Is that a word? Go with me here.

I got it in my head that our time here was temporary, even though Tyler had never led me to believe that. Sometimes I live in a bit of a fantasy world. Yikes.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this led to a whole host of issues. One of the main ones was that I really kept myself from deepening friendships that I made here. I figured that if we were moving eventually, what was the point? I also had great friends elsewhere from high school and college, so why did I need to make new friends?

What a delusional, ridiculous, awful person I was.

Just like it took me most of six years to sincerely be content with living here, it's taken me nearly that long to truly begin to invest in the amazing friendships I've made here.

I've realized that it doesn't mean I have to let my old friendships slide or go. It's just like that old song goes...

"Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the others gold."

This weekend, I got to spend a lot of time with some amazing friends both new and old.

I got to go support one at an adoption fundraiser for when they bring their new daughter home from China.

One of my best friends from college came up from Louisville for a few hours to go to the zoo with me and Griffy. 

I got to catch up with one who recently moved to California and is home for a visit. I was able to celebrate her baby boy (due exactly 3 weeks before our girl) at a shower. 

I went to dinner with another friend who moved away two years ago and a friend who I don't see nearly enough. We ate a leisurely kid-free dinner, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company.

I attended a play with an old coworker and we watched her son steal the show with a phenomenal performance.

I have MOPS to look forward to on Tuesday with a friend who is in a similar season of life with a toddler boy herself. 

Small group is on Thursday with a group that feels much more like family than friends. 

I have a breakfast date later this week with my California friend and more of my dear girlfriends who live locally.

I don't write all of this to validate anything within myself as a friend because if we're being honest, I'm not all that great at being a good friend. I'm working on it, but it's definitely something that doesn't come easily to me.

I'm saying that because I truly believe that the reason for my loneliness all those years was me. It was my unwillingness to open myself up and be a friend back to these girls.

I now count myself so blessed because I have dear friends here and dear friends who are literally spread across the country from California all the way to Boston. I'm so thankful that God opened my eyes and showed me the incredible girls He's placed in my life here.

I had the opportunity to be intentional with many of these friendships this weekend. My heart is so full and grateful for these relationships!

"I thank my God every time I remember you."
Philippians 1:3


This is the eleventh, twelfth, and thirteenth post in my 31 Days of Being Imperfectly Intentional series. 

1 comment :

Catie said...

I really like this post. I tend to just stay to myself a lot too and not think I'm going to be somewhere long term. It takes me a very long time to open up to someone new and trust them.