Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 10 :: #onebigtruth

 I'm taking a break from my 31 Days today and I'm linking up with Courtney for One Big Truth.


I only found out about this link up this morning. This was not in my plans for today. However, after seeing so many different girls sharing their #onebigtruth, I couldn't help but share mine. 

I didn't have to think about it for long. It's one of the biggest ways God has ever worked in my life and I've been slowly growing and changing in this area over the last year.


(I had no one to take my picture holding my sign and I haven't showered in two days. You're welcome.)

I have believed for years that worry and insecurity and fear are just normal parts of being a woman. That if you're a woman, a wife, a mother... you'll more than likely have a life-long struggle with at least one of those. It's a given. 

No. It's a lie. 

If you're in Christ and if He's in you, then there is love. He loves us beyond what we can even begin to comprehend. There is no fear in love! 

We don't have to fear God. He's not out to get us. Yes, He gives and He takes away, but it's because He loves us and knows what is best for us, even if it causes pain. I have learned this personally. It's not a fun lesson to learn, but as a Christian, I believe it's necessary truth for us to hold close. 

As humans and as women, we know pain. We know what it's like to wait for something that may never come and wonder, "Where is God? When is He going to show up?" He's there. He will. It may not be how we think and it may not be in the tidy package we want, but He will. 

Charles Spurgeon said, "Such strange creatures are we that we probably smart more under blows which never fall upon us than we do under those which do actually come." 

Whew. I know that's true in my own life. How many times have I been paralyzed over things that never actually happen? It's detrimental to the growth of my faith.

I still struggle with fear and anxiety in my daily life. But what I've learned is that I don't have to. 

I've been memorizing scripture and putting in hard work with God's help to put off the fear and the anxiety that can threaten to overwhelm me every day. I'm working to put on truth and that truth is this: that fear, anxiety, and insecurity do not have to define me and be a part of me because that's not who I am as a woman of God. 

Perfect love truly does cast out all fear. When you rest in His love and plan for you, you have nothing to fear. 

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him... There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
1 John 4:16 & 18

This is the tenth post in my 31 Days of Being Imperfectly Intentional series. 

3 comments :

Rachel said...

Oh Rachel. Amen. I feel like I could have written this myself. Excellent post. I am thankful to call you a friend.

Courtney DeFeo at Lil Light O' Mine said...

i really needed to read this - so thank you for linking up!

Natasha said...

I really like that quote by Charles Sprugeon. I know it holds true in my life. Thank you for sharing it.