Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Day 15 :: Too Much Stuff

I had four baskets of laundry to put away this afternoon. That's a lot of laundry.

I loaded it into baskets from my dining room table (just keeping it real) and made what felt like a million trips up the stairs to unload it into bedrooms.

As I started to put things in drawers and into closets, I grew increasingly frustrated. I didn't have room in my closet and I didn't have room in my drawers. I didn't have room in Griffin's drawers.

This is partially because I haven't switched from summer to winter wardrobes yet. It's partially because Griffin's outgrown a size and I need to pack those things away in bins.

But it's primarily because we just have too much stuff.

Our closets are overflowing, our basement is packed, our attic is stuffed to the brim. We are welcoming another family member in about 14 short weeks and we have to switch Griffin's bedroom and change a few things in the nursery.

We have so much stuff and we don't need much of it.

I'm frustrated and I feel overwhelmed by the incredible amount of excess that we have. I need to start being more intentional about purging and keeping the emotion out of it. I'm an emotional hoarder and can find a reason to save almost anything. If Griffin wore something once and I can remember it, I want to keep it. Heck, I even saved the bandaids from his first shots. RIDICULOUS, WOMAN. You can say it. Also, gross.


See? Even Griffin is tired of all our junk.

My friend Erin has been writing a great 31 Days series on this called Creating White Space. I know that it has inspired me to start intentionally going through rooms of our house and creating more space for us to breathe. You should go and read her posts; she's done a fantastic job of talking about clearing out our lives both physically and mentally.

My plan tomorrow is to start making a room by room list of what needs to be accomplished before the baby is born. I'm also planning to schedule just 15 minutes to start going through our basement.

It's time to start putting off what I'm dreading and work on giving us more white space. I think it will be a refreshing change for all of us!


This is the fifteenth post in my 31 Days of Being Imperfectly Intentional series. 

No comments :