Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 4 :: Being Thankful

Today, I was fairly intentional about being thankful for being a mom. 

It's something I haven't been very good at lately. 

Griffin is 2.5 years old and he's going through a tough stage. He is testing me a lot and most days, it feels as though I'm disciplining him all day long. He's not sleeping as well as he used to and he's just been struggling. 

Maybe he's sensing that a huge change is coming or maybe, like a friend told me the other day, he's just a two year old. 

All that to say, I haven't been very thankful to be a mom lately. I haven't wished it away at all, but I've just had a lot of pity parties. 

God gently reminded me today of the months leading up to this pregnancy and how I didn't have much grace for mothers who complained. How I promised Him hundreds of times a day that I would never complain about anything again in regards to motherhood if He would just give us another baby.

How quickly I forget. How quickly I complain and whine and feel sorry for myself. 

Today, He reminded me of just how thankful I truly am for this season of life and the fact that I'm able to be a stay-at-home-mom, which is what I've always dreamed of being. 

My job includes changing diapers, snuggling a big toddler boy, giving baths, wiping runny noses, cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, and so much more... and I love it. I love it deeply. Soon, it's going to include a lot more chaos, more diapers, middle of the night feedings, and so many more snuggles. I'm so excited to experience the joy of two children! This is what I want to do. People ask me sometimes if I would ever want to go back to teaching and I really don't. This is my calling right now and I pray it's what I get to do as I carry out my days on earth. 

God also reminded me today that these years go so fast. I know that the years will go so fast and before I know it, I'll be glancing wistfully at a young mom in Kroger wishing I had just one more day of my kids being little. 

I don't think it's reasonable to think that you should enjoy every single moment. Some moments are not enjoyable. Like stain treating. I hate stain treating. But I do want to work on being more intentionally thankful for every day I have with Griffy and his future siblings. There will be hard days, easy days, and in-between days. But all the days with my babies are good days and I can still be thankful for the days where everything seems to go to pot. 

Today was a good day and I'm thankful. And if tomorrow is a rougher day, I will still (do my best to) be completely and utterly thankful. One step at a time, right? 


Look at that face. Never a dull moment with him! He kept poking his head out and saying, "I'm wight here!" Now excuse me while I go fish him out of his crib to kiss his sweet cheeks. Babies don't keep!


This is the fourth post in my 31 Days of Being Imperfectly Intentional series. 

No comments :