Monday, January 11, 2010

Meal Plan Monday


Hey-- I actually got this posted on Monday this week! I am ahead of the game... for once. Something I have realized is that I haven't a blessed clue how working moms do life. I am in awe of them-- super women, really. I can barely take care of myself and my husband. If you are a working mom-- I commend you on about 5 different levels. You are my hero.

Now, onto the food. Yum.

Last week, my friend Hayley (check out her new blog endeavor-- you won't be sorry!) left a comment saying that she also meal plans, but doesn't plan on a specific meal for a specific night. I am going to put that into practice this week and just cook whatever strikes my fancy within the meals I have already planned. I am excited for the new recipes this week!

Meal 1: PW's Meatballs and Sweet Potato Fries (recipe to follow)

Meal 2: Broccoli Beef with Brown Rice

Meal 3: PW's Linguine with Clam Sauce (recipe in her cookbook) and Green Salad

Meal 4: Katie Lee's Red Snapper Veracruzana with Green Salad

Meal 5: Leftovers or go out to eat

The meatballs just came out of the oven and my sweet potato fries are just finishing up. Everything smells amazing! The meatballs were a little labor intensive, but not terrible. My sweet potato fries are very easy and delicious. I got the recipe from my aunt and we love eating them with meat dishes.

Sweet Potato Fries

4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
2 T. olive oil
3 T. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine potato wedges with the olive oil, brown sugar, and nutmeg in a plastic Ziploc bag. Shake to coat. Spread on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes. Turn and bake for about 20 more minutes. Keep an eye on them so that they don't burn. Sprinkle with salt and pepper when they come out.

Mmmm. Can't wait to eat these! They are soooo yum. Oh, and before I say goodbye for the evening, let me just say that the gumbo from last week was AMAZING. If you like gumbo, I would strongly recommend trying the recipe that I listed last week. If you haven't ever tried gumbo, this is the time.

And this final bit has nothing to do with food, but it does have to do with one of my other loves: reading. Oh, boy, do I love to read and spend time in libraries, but if you've read this blog for any length of time, that comes as no surprise.

I thought it might be fun to use the blog to chronicle my eclectic reading tastes in 2010. Currently, the first book I am slated to finish in 2010 is The Real Real by the authors of one of my favorite novels, The Nanny Diaries. I am just about half-way through, but I have to say that I'm not loving it as I thought I would. Next up is Witch & Wizard by James Patterson. Sometimes, his stuff can get a little weird, so I am prepared to put down the book if I need to. I'd love book recommendations, too!

Alright, I've got a hungry man who wants some food. Later, ya'll.

2 comments :

Kate Craig said...

oooo brown sugar! Those sound great! I'm going to have to try them when we're done with our P90X diet... ugggggggh

Krysta said...

I'm back to planning meals too. It saves me from panicking at 5pm and it generally saves me money too from buying what I don't need.

Just wondering, how south you are in Ohio, because I know you didn't pick up "ya'll" growing up in Metro Detroit :)